Thursday, October 6, 2016

October is here...

...and with it comes pink. So much pink. Pink ribbons all over everything! T-shirts calling for people to "Save the Boobies" or "Hope" or any other number of catchy sayings. Even the NFL has players sporting pink. I've been "aware" & seen the pretty pink color all over everything during Oct. for years, but it took my own diagnosis to make me aware that there isn't anything pretty about having breast cancer. Please know what your breasts feel like. Know what your normal is & if you feel anything out of the norm, get it looked at & insist on a mammogram, even if you are "too young" to be worried about breast cancer. I was 32 when I was diagnosed - you aren't too young. Encourage the women you love to get their yearly mammograms & do self examinations. I care so little about "saving the boobies" - I want to save the women! Boobs matter so little when your life is on the line! I will sacrifice my breasts in a heartbeat if it means more years with the people I love & that love me.

If I ever do anything for you, I hope that I encourage you to pay more attention to your body. Spend a little extra time in the shower tomorrow & do a breast examination. You have to know what you feel like so you will know if something changes. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask a doctor to do more testing. Be your own biggest advocate! This cancer is ugly but I will wear that pink & those ribbons. If one woman sees that ribbon I'm wearing & thinks "I need to call & schedule a mammogram - it's been a while" then that ribbon has done its job & I will have made a difference.

Speaking of making a difference - I will be participating in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Tulsa on Saturday, Oct. 15th. If you are here in the Tulsa area & would like to walk, please come join my team. If you aren't local, you can still donate to Team #JerinaStrong. I would love to see a few of you there to walk with me. If you would like to donate or join our team you can do so at http://mobileacs.org/2dNRKPM

No comments:

Post a Comment