Saturday, October 22, 2016

Double Digits

I just completed my 10th round of chemotherapy yesterday - Oct. 21st! That means I've completed 4 rounds of AC and 6 rounds of Taxol. The Taxol has been SO much easier than AC. I still have heartburn, my eyebrows and lashes have thinned a lot, and my memory continues to give me problems, but the exhaustion that I had with AC is gone! I get chemo every Friday now & I'm pretty beat that day, but I'm not losing a day or two like I was with AC. I'm very eager to get chemo over with but also anxious about the next step. 

I have met with my breast surgeon and learned a little more about what the plans for surgery are. I also met with my plastic surgeon & learned about what my options are for reconstruction. Assuming I'm able to finish out the next 6 weeks of Taxol with no complications, I will be done with chemo on Dec. 2nd. I will get the rest of Dec. off with no treatments or procedures. I will have my first of three surgeries the first week of Jan (possibly as early as the 2nd). That is where I will have a bilateral mastectomy - removal of both of my breasts. The breast surgeon will perform that and then my plastic surgeon will take over & begin reconstruction immediately. He will place two expanders under my chest muscle. These expanders allow them to add fluid slowly to stretch my skin for the permanent implant & allow me to have radiation before the second surgery to swap the expander out with a silicone implant. Radiation can make the silicone implant hard & mess reconstruction up so I don't have that second breast surgery until radiation is over & my skin has healed. I meet the radiation oncologist the first week of November so I expect to know more about radiation then. Sometime after that I will also have a hysterectomy since the BRCA2 gene means I have a higher risk of ovarian cancer &, since we are done having children, they recommend I have that third surgery 6 months to a year after I'm done with everything else.

Aside from my nervousness about surgery, things are going well. I've only missed one day of work throughout this & I'm pretty proud of that. My friends & family continue to give me encouragement & I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

3 comments:

  1. So proud of how you have fought this fight. You have looked cancer in the eye and said "bring it"! You are such an amazingly strong woman. I am thankful you are in my life. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me as you deal with with your treatments and their side effects while still maintaining your family and work relationships and responsibilities. Hugs and prayer continue!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me as you deal with with your treatments and their side effects while still maintaining your family and work relationships and responsibilities. Hugs and prayer continue!!

    ReplyDelete