Monday, July 11, 2016

My Heart is Full

We live seven hours away from our nearest family & have only lived in Oklahoma for 5 months. I was more than a little nervous about our support system here. We have been going to church & are making some friends through there & our jobs but it's not the same as those friends who have known you forever or your mom. 

When I was first diagnosed my phone went off consistently with messages & most of them were from people here. People who haven't known me that long. People who might not have reason to care all that much yet. But they do. 

I have received a card in the mail nearly every day. Our entertainment center is filling up with them & I'm going to have to come up with a creative way to display them. It helps to read the notes inside & I love them. I also received a special prayer blanket from a lady I go to the gym with. She made it & then members of her church prayed over it on Sunday.

I don't know that I have ever been more touched than I was this past Sunday at church. We were the last ones to arrive to our small group (Sunday school) on Sunday. I was messing with my necklace & not really paying attention as I asked one of my friends to help me with it. My husband came in just a bit behind me & as I sat down next to him he commented "I think we missed the pink memo" and then got a funny look on his face. I looked around & every single person in my class was dressed in pink. I was just speechless & that's not something that happens to me very often.

To see that room full of pink, in support of me, gave me a feeling I will never forget. I still can't find the words to say how much it meant to me. And if that wasn't enough, they had gotten me an amazing gift. If you are from OK you probably know what Rustic Cuff is. They are bracelets that are HUGELY popular here. I got a stack of various pink ones & the most awesome pair of shoes ever. I will wear these bracelets & shoes to every treatment & remember the way these people made me feel - loved, supported, amazed. I was in tears, my husband was in tears, and I continued to cry over it through the day. I'm a little misty writing this now. It was absolutely incredible & I will remember this the rest of my life. 
If you know someone going through a rough time - be it cancer, divorce, fertility issues, whatever - let them know you are thinking of them & love them. It has already made such a difference to me & I know it would to them as well. 

And to everyone that has prayed, sent messages, read these blogs, gave a hug, sent a card, wore pink, was involved on Sunday, or just sent a happy thought our way - THANK YOU! I don't know that I'll be able to say how much it has meant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment